Adults living in Long Term Care Facilities. Some of the common issues we address include: social isolation, loss, difficulties with life transitions, mental health issues, responsive behaviours and coping with death and dying.
- The duration a full time internship is 7 to 8 months and is a minimum of 1000 hours.
- The duration of a half internship is 3 to 4 months and is 500 hours.
- Internship hours will primarily be from 9:00am- 5:00pm Monday through Friday.
- Team Meetings occur once a month in the evening.
The intern will have access to a variety of percussion instruments such as Tubano drums and tone chimes at each site. The intern must have access to a guitar as not all sites provide guitars.
The intern will be supervised by the New Song Music Therapy team. A New Song Music Therapist will be at each facility to observe, provide supervision and support the development of the intern. Primary supervisor will be provided Thyra Andrews.
New Song does not charge the intern a fee for internship supervision.
A monthly stipend for the intern is available after the 2nd Module.
An agreement regarding requirements while working at New Song will be reviewed with the intern and signed before the internship begins. As part of the learning contract the intern will discuss and document their personal learning goals for their internship.
- Completed or Enrolled in a Music Therapy Degree (Bachelor or Masters)
- A Member in Good standing of the CAMT
- The ability to work well independently and as part of an inter-professional team
- Ability to assess, observe and document a client’s mood, affect, behaviour and responses to music therapy interventions
- Knowledge or ability of age appropriate music
- Experience in Geriatrics is an asset
- Ability to play basic chord progressions (I, IV, V) in various keys on the guitar
- Ability to accompany yourself on the guitar while singing and engaging clients in the music
- Ability to improvise, using percussion instruments, voice and/or guitar
- Ability to quickly learn music and apply it in different interventions
- Based on the Interns location. Multiple sites available.
- The homes you are assigned to you would be at regularly. For example if you are at West Park on Tuesdays you would be there every Tuesday from 9 to 5.